“Epiphone By Gibson” Sheraton, c. 1986

Check out this super rare “E By G” Sheraton that we had in the store recently. This guitar is a very early example of Epi’s reissue Sheraton guitars and was made in the Samick factory in Korea. A very solid guitar showing high-quality workmanship, I can’t think of one thing I’d change out- aside from the plastic nut, that is. The pickups are healthy and warm, the tuners hold flawlessly, and even the neck is comfortable and similar to an early 60’s carve.

Such gorgeous inlays on a really nice peice of rosewood.

From the creamy white finish to the exquisite fingerboard inlays, everything about this guitar is top notch. It’s obvious that a lot of care went into making sure these initial-run guitars were properly spec’d and immensely playable. I’ve played many, many other Epi Sheratons of most every make and year, and I’m not lying when I say that this is among the best I’ve ever played. Nothing felt dodgy or smacked of cut corners. Everything was in its right place, and with a proper set up this guitar smoked some more expensive examples we’ve seen in recent months.

Originally, the guitar was brought in for a set-up for flats and an inspection of the electronics. We fawned over this guitar for a few days until the owner arrived, all the while praying that we’d see her again. Well, it happened. We received this vision in white at the recent Seattle-Tacoma Guitar Show of 2011 and promptly sold it a week later. There wasn’t even time to give ‘er a proper write-up, which is why I’m taking the time now.

This headstock is boss, btw.

If you ever see another of these out there, buy it! You won’t be disappointed! Or, better yet, bring it on by the shop so we can have a crack at it!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to “Epiphone By Gibson” Sheraton, c. 1986

1. John Diego says:

I have a 1986 Epiphone By Gibson Sheraton. I am thinking of selling it and I ran across this thread. Anyway can I ask what you sold yours for and would you have any interest in mine.Thank you for your time.

John

• michaeladams says:

John! Cool guitar, friend! What color is it? I think we’d be happy to have another in our shop!

Anyway, I see your email up there; is it alright if I send you a private message?

-Michael

2. David says:

I have what I believe to be an ’86 Epiphone by Gibson sheraton (at least that is when I think I bought it). It has been very lightly played and has been in temp controlled storage for at least the past 10 years. I am moving and ran across it.

Was thinking of selling it – wondering what the value is. It is the darker wood color, that lovely gold finish, and in excellent shape. It needs a polish and cleaning, but otherwise should be fine. I can send photos if you are interested.

Dave

• samuel says:

Hi there,
      I would be interested in your Epiphone by Gibson if you still have it. Please let me know.

• michaeladams says:

Hey! Unfortunately, that guitar was sold before we even posted the story about it! While we did note that it had sold in the article, we’ve been looking out for another one of these amazing guitars. Let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll do our best to get it! Thanks!

3. FRED TUTTLE says:

I HAVE THE EXACT GUITAR IN NEW UNPLAYED CONDITION …WHITE …WILL SELL. WHATS IT’S WORTH? OWNED FOR IT FOR YEARS…SINCE 88-89?

4. Billy says:

I just scored one. An 1988 model that is in Mint condition with the case. it was owned by an old man who had passed away and was handed down to his son who is in late 60’s now. It has sat in hard case since 2001. Was rarely played and maticulously taken care of. It still has original warranty card with it. The guitar is pristine without flaws or nicks. Its the Tobacco Burst and is completely original other than of course the strings. I’ve played many Epis but this guitar is special. Any idea what something like this is worth?

• michaeladams says:

Awesome! Those are great guitar, and it sounds like you got a good one!

As far as worth, we usually evaluate on a case-by-case basis. With the white one, obviously price was determined not only by condition but also by rarity of the color. Without seeing your guitar, I hesitate to put a specific dollar amount value on it. I’d give you the range of $500-$750 based on your description. Maybe a bit more if it’s absolutely pristine and stunningly gorgeous, but that of course would be subjective.

Here’s the thing: these are amazing instruments, but ultimately a hard sell and possibly a niche item at that. The reason? People can’t seen to get their heads around an Epiphone being such a great guitar. It takes the right buyer–someone who knows exactly what they want and what they’re looking at–to appreciate a guitar like that.

• Billy says:

Yes, completely subjective. I’ve had people on forums say they are no better or worth no more than a China made Sheraton. Everybody that has seen it in person has begged for it. It does feel, play and look great. I think I’m in love with it. Great guitars for the money.