Since we’ve already determined the guitar needs a bridge replacement, we went ahead and ordered a pre-cut bridge. This bridge wasn’t terribly expensive, but we had no idea it would come finished, and disappointingly at that. That overly dark satin finish was going to stick out like a… new bridge on an old guitar. I got nothin’ today.
I took it upon myself to spend an extra 20 minutes and not only sand away the finish, but to re-shape the bridge as well. I don’t know if you can tell from the angle of my photo, but that bridge had entirely squared off edges devoid of the rounded, comfortable profile I associate with Gibson-style bridges. My personal J-45 has one of the most hand-friendly bridges I’ve ever played, but I was afraid this “Gibson-style” bridge would take chucks out of my palm if I wasn’t careful.
It wasn’t a difficult process, but I think it came out really well. I’ve rounded all of the formerly harsh edges, and I’ve even given the saddle side face of the bridge a more rounded-off Gibson profile. It’s really comfortable, and because all of the corners are worn down it’s also quite legit-looking. Maybe it won’t pass for original, but it’ll certainly look as though it’s been on the guitar for quite a while. Plus, that’s not a bad looking piece of wood!
I’ll take some photos once it’s affixed to the guitar top!